Wednesday 12 June 2013

You probably think this song is about you.....

Vanity...what is it?  After seeing a picture I had taken of myself  a few days ago, a workmate stated "Nice picture.  When was it taken? 10...15 years ago?"  At first I was flattered to think he thought I looked 10 years younger than I did.  But then I thought, so he thinks I looks 10 years older now than I did a couple of days ago??  I was confused, do I take it as a compliment, or an insult?  This really made me think about vanity.  How do you define vanity?  Am I vain?  I never thought I was....but...am I?  What about those around me, who is vain and who isn't? 

So the dictionary says the definition of vanity is: conceit about ones appearance. When I think of someone being "conceited" or "vain" I guess I think....expensive....always at the hairdressers...at the manicurists....at the gym....face peels....liposuction....youth elixirs....always looking in the mirror....always checking your reflection....always living up to your own high standards....high maintenance!

Now, I don't spend a lot of time or money on my appearance.  I like to think I keep myself tidy, but I don't go to any trouble.  I would guess that I spend less time and money than the "average" woman does on their appearance.  I have never had a pedicure, a manicure, foils or false fingernails.  But is that really the definition of vanity?  I know, without a doubt, that if it is raining and I get even a little, tiny bit of rain or even misty rain on my hair...that I will be fiddling with it and getting frustrated with it for the rest of the day, not happy with how it sits or how it looks.  Concerned with ones appearance - isn't that conceit...vanity?  So, even if you don't spend a lot of time or money on your appearance, you can still be vain?  Most definitely.  This is a revelation...now I know why I don't like having my photo taken, I'm vain.  I must be, I never like the way I look in photos.  If I wasn't vain, I wouldn't care.  Simple.

So, as previously thought by me, vanity isn't restricted to the young, the beautiful or the rich.  It can be found in all of us, in one way or another.  And I guess we all need that little bit of vanity to help us achieve our goals.  What is self confidence and ego, without a small dose of vanity to back it up?  It's when vanity overtakes and rules our lives that the problems begin.  Too many celebrities went that little bit too far...and some went way too far.

So, I am going to go with this new insight that I am a little bit vain, and use it as a positive tool in my self confidence toolbox - I feel I am becoming quite the handywoman.   And I am going to take the comment as a compliment...and why not?  If you ever get the chance to look 10 years younger....be vain and take it....just make sure you don't take it too far!

No comments:

Post a Comment